Thursday, February 24, 2011

Packing List

In addition to my many aspirations for my life in London, I have set the goal for myself that I will use everything I brought with me.  So far, I've used every pair of closed-toed shoes, and every pajama-related item, to name a couple.  I realize that this information doesn't help you much, but here are the things that I've found to be the most useful, especially for those of you planning to visit in the coming months!
  1. Small, lightweight umbrella.  It doesn't actually rain THAT much, but you should really try to have one on you at all times.
  2. Trench coat.  I love that it's not super cold here, and people definitely favor the trench over other styles.
  3. Scarf.  Both men and women wear scarves here all the time.  Today was almost 60 degrees, and people still wore light-weight scarves with their spring coats.
  4. Camera.  Of course.  I'm looking forward to taking some fun shots when Derek and I explore the city this weekend, which I will be sure to share!
  5. Hair elastics.  London is a constant bad hair day.  It's damp, and sometimes windy.  You have to just own it, which sometimes involves succumbing to a ponytail.
  6. My Kindle.  I am convinced that you can be anywhere alone and not look stupid with the help of something to read.  My Kindle has been my sole companion during many dinners, tube rides, and evenings at home.  In fact, I think it's lonely now that Derek has replaced it.
  7. Reusable shopping bags.  I thought I was being silly bringing one, but it folds up to be very small and I use it ALL THE TIME.  Especially since I don't need to be walking around looking like a bag lady, and because I have no place to store grocery bags to recycle them.
  8. Electrical outlet adapter.  I keep my UK to US outlet converter plugged into one spot, and just rotate my laptop, iPhone, and Kindle when they need to be charged.
  9. Photos.  I stuck a few photos and a small album in my bag at the last minute, and it makes it feel much more like home!
  10. Skype.  Okay so I didn't technically pack Skype, but I've learned that I can use it on my iPhone to make free calls to other Skype users, even though my iPhone doesn't actually work here as a cell phone.
There you have it.  In case you haven't noticed, I like lists.  They help me organize my thoughts.  Oh - I also brought list paper with me.  Don't laugh at me - I use it quite a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment