Friday, March 4, 2011

West End Theatre

As you may recall, one of the things on my to-do list was seeing a show in the West End (London's theatre district).  Do you see my fancy British spelling of "theatre"?  It seems to make it more festive, I think.  This week, we checked it off the list!  We went to see Legally Blonde, a very well-reviewed musical here. 


It was a really fun show.  There were some questionable American accents, but the music was great.  They even had real dogs in the show!  It was  interesting to see what the British audience found entertaining.  There seems to be a lot of making fun of the Irish and the Americans.  I have to admit, however, that I teared up a little when I first heard Elle Woods' offensively American accent.  It made me feel very homesick.  

We were pleased to discover that if we go to a show during the week, we can find very discounted theatre tickets.  There are so many great shows, so we are looking forward to going again soon.

Before the show, we visited a cute French restaurant, mostly in search of french onion Soup, which we discovered in Paris last year (yes...I know that we didn't discover, it but we had never really thought twice about it before and now we love it).  Cafe des Amis had many good pre-theatre dinner options, and it was only a few blocks away from the show.  I'm not quite an expert yet, but I think the key to delicious french onion soup is gruyere cheese.  Other types of cheese just aren't the same.  If anyone has a chance to test that theory, let me know.  Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment