Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bringing Boston to London: Complaining About the Weather

It took over a week, but Kristen finally "cleared me" for blogging, although she still remains concerned about my ability to create an international incident via the Internet...

Anyways, I assume it's fair to say that most of this blog's audience know that I have a borderline irrational interest in weather.  I don't pretend to hide it.....should I?  That's debatable, perhaps I should to save face a bit.   Oh yeah, I like maps too…put the two together (which often happens) and it's almost as good as watching the Red Sox on a summer evening.

Moving right along…. as you can imagine, since arriving, I've been all about the weather here in London.   New city, new continent, new maps, new geographical influences, my tail is wagging.  My weather.com iPhone app has been in overdrive since getting here over a week ago.  So here are my initial thoughts:

Just like back home, the weather here doesn't make any sense.

Bostonians are known for their sincere ability to complain about the weather; Londoners however, take the constant overcast and high percentage chance of showers on a daily basis in stride. 

Overall, it's considerably warmer here than back home, so there's that.  It really doesn't rain as much as most people may believe, but don't you dare think about leaving your flat without an umbrella.  It's more important than having your keys.  The one thing I know at this point is regardless of what it looks like outside, there is a good chance it'll rain on you.  Every Londoner carries an average of 1.73 umbrellas on them at any point during the day.  Wiki that, it's fact.

Earlier today Kristen and I looked at the 10 day forecast, which showed mostly sunny skies and highs around 50ish most of the week…..we both laughed and said "yeah right".  The same way that today's weather was supposed to be partly cloudy and 52 (it rained on us for a solid 4 hours on Sunday as we walked around the Tower of London area).

In general I'll take cloudy and 52 over the 5 meters of snow back home (you see that?  "meters" …who's assimilated? Yes I realize it's not exactly accurate, but you get the point).  London's weather simply can't be trusted.  I know we often complain about the meteorologists back home, but it's gotta be the easiest job in the world here "cloudy with a chance of showers, temperatures in the 50's" – day in, day out. 

No analysis or scientific reasoning needed, just make the forecast and go back to eating crumpets.

2 comments:

  1. I can’t wait to collect a whole new set of maps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are now "involved. I love getting the different points of view!

    ReplyDelete