Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fancy a Tea?

Well, the worst has happened.  I, an avid hater of all black tea my entire life, has switched over to the dark side.  As Derek and I sit in our living room after dinner reading and drinking tea, I see a flash of what my life will be like 50 years from now.  I also think, perhaps if I continue to enjoy tea, I can drink a cup after dinner instead of craving ice cream or a brownie, which is likely a quite positive development in my general health. 

Perhaps the next time someone stops by my desk to ask me if I fancy a tea, I shall respond with a vigorous, "Yes, I DO fancy a tea, please!  God save the Queen!"  Okay...that may be too vigorous.  Maybe I'll start trying other fancy kinds of tea and really get with the program here.  They have electric kettles here to heat their tea water that is unlike anything I have ever seen (which is likely why I had to be taught to use it).  Our flat, which did not even come with a spatula, came with one.




Anyway, my tea-related highlight so far has been during Lizzie's visit, where we enjoyed high tea at Harrod's Georgian Restaurant, complete with mini sandwiches and scones. 


You can confidently add scones to things that they do better on the British Isles.  Those triangular things in Starbucks are absolute rubbish.  Here we rock freshly baked scones with clotted cream (a cross between whipped cream and butter...yeah) and multiple kinds of jam.  Add this to the list of things I will try to recreate at home...right after I master the English Sunday Roast.

Stay tuned for a post, with pictures, about the Royal Wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment